A Heart warming Christmas Collection of Short Stories
Thank you to Rachel from Rachel’s Random Resources and to the author, Geraldine Ryan, for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! Please be sure to check out the other book blogs on this digital book tour.
Publisher’s Summary from the Back Cover:
As warming as a mince pie and a glass of sherry, these eighteen festive-themed shorts are just waiting to be unwrapped.
- A lonely dog shelter volunteer battles to find new homes for her long-time canine residents while realising her own future is just as uncertain. As the new year approaches, can a fellow animal lover give her the fresh start she so wants for her dogs.
- A widowed grandmother prepares to reunite with her forbidden first love, only to discover the grand country pile from where he’s sent her a Christmas card isn’t quite what it seems.
- A single woman finally meets a man to couple up with over the festive season, but will the eccentric mistress of her late father destroy her plans?
- An ambitious 20-something attends a lavish Christmas party with only one aim – to bag a rich husband. But her plans are derailed when a troubling connection with the aristocrat she’s set her sights on is revealed.
Geraldine Ryan is a prolific short-story writer whose work has appeared in Woman’s Weekly and Take a Break’s Fiction Feast magazines. This yuletide collection follows hot on the heels of her first published anthology Riding Pillion with George Clooney. While Christmas comes but once a year, these moving and humorous tales will stay with you for a lifetime.
I love Christmas time and one of my favourite things to do during the cold winter months is to snuggle up with a good book and a cozy blanket; however, I’m usually so busy with work and family during the holidays that I barely get the time to read. That is why I was so happy to receive a free copy of this short story collection. Each story is packed full of holiday spirit. They are short enough to read one or two before bed, but so engaging that I actually ended up sprinting through and reading the entire book in just two days.
These Christmas short stories reminded me of the joy of Hallmark Holiday movies or the dramas my grandmother and I would watch together on Lifetime: Television for Women (A popular television channel in the United States). They dealt with real issues that impact the lives of many women, but they did so in a way that was hopeful and never too grim.
All the stories were great, but my absolute favourite one was called “A Rocking Horse Christmas,” in which a vicar and his wife long for a child of their own (that one might have a hit a little too close to home for me. I confess it made me cry—but in a good, Hallmark movie kind of way).
If you love the holidays and enjoy women’s fiction, I highly recommend The No-Hopers Christmas Club by Geraldine Ryan. These stories are a great addition to any book lover’s holiday season!
Get your Copy Here:
USA Readers CLICK HERE to get your copy (Affiliate link)
UK Readers CLICK HERE to get your copy
About the Author:
– Geraldine Ryan is a proud Northerner who has spent most of her life in Cambridge – the one with the punts. She holds a degree in Scandinavian Studies, but these days only puts it to use when identifying which language is being spoken among the characters of whatever Scandi drama is currently showing on TV. For many years, she worked as a teacher of English and of English as a second or foreign language, in combination with rearing her four children, all of whom are now grown-up, responsible citizens. Her first published story appeared in My Weekly in 1993. Since then, her stories have appeared in Take a Break, Fiction Feast and Woman’s Weekly, as well as in women’s magazines abroad. She has also written two young adult novels – Model Behaviour (published by Scholastic) and The Lies and Loves of Finn (Channel 4 Books.) She plans for Riding Pillion with George Clooney to be the first of several short story anthologies.
Keep up to date with Geraldine’s news, be the first to hear about her new releases and read exclusive content by signing up to her monthly newsletter Turning the Page. By adding your details, you’ll also receive a free short story. Use this link to subscribe: https://bit.ly/Turningthepage
Follow Geraldine Ryan on Social Media:
2 thoughts on “The No-Hopers Christmas Club is a short story collection full of Holiday Cheer!”
Sounds like a lovely book. I think I will add some Hot Chocolate to my coffee and finish A Christmas Carol this quiet Thanksgiving morning!!! Stumpy, “We are God’s workmanship created for good works in Christ.”
LikeLiked by 1 person
That book sounds like a fun book to read.
LikeLiked by 1 person